Saturday, April 21, 2012

Nigel Is Here!

My dear son, Nigel, was born on April 11th. I haven't posted about him because I've been ridiculously busy. It is crazy how much work a little baby takes. When he was born, Nigel weighed 7 lbs 10 oz and was 20 inches long. What a good baby.
Labor and delivery were really hard. I was wanting to go with as little medication as possible. Holy cow, labor sucks. It was so painful. I did make it to 7 cm when I got stuck. No change there for a while, so they broke my water. Holy crap! After having my water broken, the contractions were ten bazillion times worse. It really sucked. I tried some drugs in my iv that were supposed to help the contractions not be as sharp, but really it didn't do anything. I was crying through contractions and groaning and all that painful agony stuff. It really sucked, it was so hard. But making the decision to get an epidural had me very sad. I thought I could go all the way without getting one, but I could not. So I got an epidural. And it was fantastic! I hadn't slept in over 24 hours because of contractions, and that really sucked, but after my epidural I was finally able to sleep!
Pushing really sucked as well, it was really hard. I had gotten a really low dose of epidural juice, and I could still move my feet and legs a little bit, I just couldn't feel them. Pushing was not a problem. The nurse, and the doctor when he got there, both said that I was a really good pusher. Good to know I guess. Anyway, I was pushing for an hour and a half when they called the doctor and Nigel came about fifteen minutes after that. I got a good tear from his head that the doctor fixed up real quick.
I only got to be with Nigel for about 3 hours and then he ended up in the NICU due to low blood sugar. My poor little guy. That was hard. I had to go downstairs to see him and feed him every 3 hours. He was hooked up to an IV to bring up his sugars. Luckily, he was only down there for about 27 hours and then I got to have him in my room again. :) And that night I got to go home with him. Party!
The first two nights with Nigel he did not want to sleep. I would feed him, then he would act like he was still hungry and I couldn't be up all night. So then Ross would take him so I could sleep, then I'd get up later to feed him again and Ross would get some sleep. Then the whole thing would repeat. It was exhausting. He's doing a lot better sleeping through the night now. He does wake up 2-3 times a night, which isn't all that bad when he actually goes back to sleep after I feed him. Last night was spectacular because he only woke up once. I was very pleased.
Well, Ross and I are totally in love with our little boy. He's so adorable and it is great to have such a wonderful addition to our family.

4 comments:

  1. The sleeping thing is such a big adjustment, but it sounds like you are getting it down! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a good looking boy. You guys make a cute kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That middle picture is competing for the cutest baby picture I've ever seen ! ADORABLE!!!!!!-- amanda

    ReplyDelete